Housing Inventory Hits 30-Year Low
Spring is traditionally the busiest season for real estate. Buyers, experiencing cabin fever all winter, emerge like flowers through the snow in search of their dream home. Homeowners, in preparation for the increased demand, are enticed to list their house for sale and move on to the home that will better fit their needs.
New data from CoreLogic shows that even though buyers came out in force, as predicted, homeowners did not make the jump to list their home in the second quarter of this year. Frank Nothaft, Chief Economist for CoreLogic had this to say,
“The growth in sales is slowing down, and this is not due to lack of affordability, but rather a lack of inventory. As of Q2 2017, the unsold inventory as a share of all households is 1.9 percent, which is the lowest Q2 reading in over 30 years.”
CoreLogic’s President & CEO, Frank Martell added,
“Home prices are marching ever higher, up almost 50 percent since the trough in March 2011.
While low mortgage rates are keeping the market affordable from a monthly payment perspective, affordability will likely become a much bigger challenge in the years ahead until the industry resolves the housing supply challenge.”
Overall inventory across the United States is down for the 25th consecutive month according to the latest report from the National Association of Realtors and now stands at a 4.3-month supply.
Real estate is local.
Market conditions in the starter and trade-up home markets are in line with the median US figures, but conditions in the luxury and premium markets are following an opposite path. Premium homes are staying on the market longer with ample inventory to suggest a buyer’s market.
What’s your home worth? Get your fast and free home value estimate now!
Buyers are out in force, and there has never been a better time to move-up to a premium or luxury home. If you are considering selling your starter or trade-up home and moving up this year, let’s get together to discuss the exact conditions in our area.
- 712,000 Homes in the US Regained Equity in the Past 12 Months! - January 16, 2018
- Thinking of Selling? Now is the Perfect Time - January 16, 2018
- Sussex County Real Estate – October 2017 Market Review - January 15, 2018
- Sussex County Real Estate – November 2017 Market Review - January 15, 2018
- Orange County Real Estate – October 2017 Market Review - January 15, 2018
- Orange County Real Estate – November 2017 Market Review - January 15, 2018
- Tax Reform & Housing: A Reference Guide - January 4, 2018
- Home Prices Up 6.54% Across the Country! [INFOGRAPHIC] - December 19, 2017
- Before You Make an Offer, Here Are 4 Tips for Success! - December 13, 2017
- The Real Reason Home Prices are Increasing - December 5, 2017