Housing Inventory Hits 30-Year Low
Spring is traditionally the busiest season for real estate. Buyers, experiencing cabin fever all winter, emerge like flowers through the snow in search of their dream home. Homeowners, in preparation for the increased demand, are enticed to list their house for sale and move on to the home that will better fit their needs.
New data from CoreLogic shows that even though buyers came out in force, as predicted, homeowners did not make the jump to list their home in the second quarter of this year. Frank Nothaft, Chief Economist for CoreLogic had this to say,
“The growth in sales is slowing down, and this is not due to lack of affordability, but rather a lack of inventory. As of Q2 2017, the unsold inventory as a share of all households is 1.9 percent, which is the lowest Q2 reading in over 30 years.”
CoreLogic’s President & CEO, Frank Martell added,
“Home prices are marching ever higher, up almost 50 percent since the trough in March 2011.
While low mortgage rates are keeping the market affordable from a monthly payment perspective, affordability will likely become a much bigger challenge in the years ahead until the industry resolves the housing supply challenge.”
Overall inventory across the United States is down for the 25th consecutive month according to the latest report from the National Association of Realtors and now stands at a 4.3-month supply.
Real estate is local.
Market conditions in the starter and trade-up home markets are in line with the median US figures, but conditions in the luxury and premium markets are following an opposite path. Premium homes are staying on the market longer with ample inventory to suggest a buyer’s market.
What’s your home worth? Get your fast and free home value estimate now!
Buyers are out in force, and there has never been a better time to move-up to a premium or luxury home. If you are considering selling your starter or trade-up home and moving up this year, let’s get together to discuss the exact conditions in our area.
- Tom Folino Joins the Green Team - November 13, 2017
- Why Sell Now Instead of Later? The Buyers are Out Now - November 7, 2017
- Nancy Sardo wins Third Quarter Sales Leader Award - November 2, 2017
- Barbara Tesa Wins Third Quarter Sales Leader Award – 2017 - November 1, 2017
- To Work with a Buyer’s Agent or a Listing Agent, that is the Question - October 9, 2017
- A Tale of Two Markets: A 6-Month Update - October 4, 2017
- First Time Going to Warwick Applefest? - September 20, 2017
- 20 Tips for Preparing Your House for Sale [INFOGRAPHIC] - September 13, 2017
- 4 Reasons to Buy a Home This Fall! - September 12, 2017
- Homeowners: Do You Know Your Home’s Value? - September 7, 2017